The Lagos Nigeria based sport marketing consult, GreenHunters Sports International, hope to attract a US$1 million [equivalent to 190 million Naira] per year shirt sponsorship deal for Kano Pillars. The CEO, Benson Chukwueke, said his company has already started talking with some multinational brands and the negotiation is on in helping them understand the Kano Pillars’ brand equity at the moment.
|Benson Chukwueke, CEO, GreenHunters Sports International|
We have reached at the point where Nigeria professional clubs should seriously seek for marketing support to help deliver their active and latent products to consumers and users. By this, they can generate more revenue to compliment government funding – Benson Chukwueke
From Advertiser’s perspective, a shirt sponsorship is worth the non-stop marketing opportunity the team provide in every game it plays – spectators attendance, TV viewership, Print media cover photos as well as the street-level marketing that happens when fans buy and wear the team’s jersey.
It’s a standard sport marketing concept, if you want to broker a shirt sponsorship deal between an advertiser and a football team, then you have to go through the checklist with the brand manager or the organization’s representatives. That way, it becomes easier to let the advertiser understand the worth of the deal.
Shirt sponsorship is worth a hefty fee, which is calculated according to the team’s history of success as well as rate of follower-ship or supporters across a region, continent or world at large. This is refer to as brand equity – the added value that a team’s brand name gives to an advertiser’s corporate or product brand associated with it.
Shirt sponsorship deal for the world’s biggest clubs comes with a huge price tag. For instance:
- Chevrolet pay US$79 million per year to Manchester United
- Qatar Airways, US$45 million to Barcelona
- Deutsche Telekom, US$40 million per year to Bayern Munich
- Fly Emirates, US$39 million per year to Real Madrid…
Kano Pillars may not be in the rank of the world’s best, but here in Nigeria and indeed Africa, the team has a growing brand reputation and we can look at some of the checklist:
1. History of Success: Kano Pillars had won the Nigeria Premier League back to back for the third time now. And has participated in the CAF Champions league 5 consecutive years.
Most of its games are regarded as key matches that attract both TV and Radio broadcast as well as spectators attendance. Kano pillars home games are usually packed out with fans at the 20, 000 capacity Sani Abacha Satdium.
2. Current Success: Kano Pillars is currently doing well both in CAF Champions league, Glo Premier league and Federations cup. The team participated in the Super 6 tourney in January and invitational tourney in Guinea last February.
3. Street-Level Exposure: Kano Pillars fan base is growing rapidly, sweeping across the whole northern Nigeria down to Abuja, the capital territory. It’s a common sight to see pedestrians putting on Kano Pillars jersey while on their daily endeavor.
On match day in Kano, the second largest city in Nigeria, the streets are full of bright Yellow and Green colors – Jersey of Kano Pillars. And after 12 noon, all road lead to Sani Abacha stadium.
Kano Pillars is the most supported team and has the largest number of fans in Nigeria.
4. Iner-continental Exposure: Kano pillars has won its two preliminary games and most likely to qualify for the Group stage of the continental competition. Kano Pillars’ Caf Champions League matches are televised by Super Sports Satellite TV and can be accessed from anywhere around the world.
Following the team’s brand equity and the non-stop marketing opportunity it provide for any advertiser associated with it, you may really agree with me that Kano Pillars Shirt Sponsorship os worth a million Dollar.