Football Stars Behind Bars - The Hope Joseph Yobo Bring to Inmates in Nigeria Prisons


Joseph Yobo Spoke to us: How he Got Inspired to Start A Football Academy in The Prisons

“Football Stars Behind Bars" - an initiative of Joseph Yobo Foundation (JYF) in collaboration with Sister Cities Rehab and Nigeria Prisons Service,  on August 27, 2018 launched Yobo Football Academy  for inmates in Ikoyi Prisons.

Last year, precisely in August, ex-Super Eagles captain, Joseph Yobo officially launched a football academy in the most weird place you can think of -  Ikoyi prisons

We caught up with Yobo in Lagos last week and he told us all about it, how he got inspired to start a football academy and to help secure the release of as many inmates as he can:


 “I have never been to the prisons before but on getting to Ikoyi Prisons, I realised the need to give hope to some of these inmates,” Yobo said in his statement.

“The Joseph Yobo Foundation is ready to do everything within its means to grant bail to as many as possible that are awaiting trial, especially those in the facility’s football academy.

“I am happy with what is going on in this facility after one year, since the academy kick off. I have never been here before but when I got here, what I saw jolted me.

"First, I saw some unimaginable football skills, strength, precision and display of some rare tactical discipline" Yobo commented after watching the academy play a friendly match with FC Yobo, another Joseph Yobo's team in the Nigeria nationwide league.

 “I thought I will see persons looking depressed and very sad, rushing to go out, but rather I saw them very happy, cheerful and looking very hopeful.

“I must indeed commend the authorities of the Nigerian Prisons Service because from what I have seen on ground, the service is in the right track.’’

The former Everton defender says his initiative will also look to secure bail for some of the inmates.

“We in our little way will want to give back to the society by giving hope to our brothers here behind the bars and give them a second chance because no one is above mistake,” he continued.

“Having stayed here for a while, I am convinced that they must have undergone a great deal of reformation and rehabilitation.’’

"Of course, the football training here can be an opportunity to remould some of the guys here. We have spotted some good talents and I will try my best to see if can fix them up in any of the football teams out there.as soon as they are released"

No comments

Theme images by rami_ba. Powered by Blogger.