[New Super Eagles Call Up] Home Boy Valentine Ozornwafor Determined to Take His Chance


Enyimba defender, Valentine Ozornwafor, is determined to stake his claim on a regular playing berth in the Super Eagles following his maiden invitation to the team.

Ozornwafor was among the 23 players named on Monday by Nigeria’s head coach Gernot Rohr in his squad for this month’s 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying fixture against Seychelles and international friendly match versus Pharaohs of Egypt.

The tall centre-back and second choice goalkeeper, Ikechukwu Ezenwa of Katsina United are the only home-based players in the squad.


Ozornwafor owe his surprise invitation to his stellar performance for Nigeria’s U-20 side, the Flying Eagles at the 2019 U-20 Africa Cup of Nations in Niger.

Ozornwafor was a key performer for the Flying Eagles at the competition and was named in the team of the competition by the Confederation of African Football along with team captain Ikouwen Udoh.

“I want to thank God for everything. I can say it is a dream come true for me,” Ozornwafor who played his first NPFL game this season for Enyimba last Sunday in the 0-0 away draw against Bendel Insurance told our correspondent

“As a young player, you look forward to an opportunity like this and to excel in future. It is a big opportunity for me and I hope to make the best use of it.

“I’m not just going to camp to make up the numbers. No player in his right senses will get invited to the national team and not put in his best in training to further prove his quality to the coaches.

“It is important to have a target. I have set a target for myself and will do my best to achieve it.

“Gradually I’m getting there. I believe with hard work and dedication, this will surely be a stepping stone for me.”

No comments

Theme images by rami_ba. Powered by Blogger.