MY SUCCESS STORY: How I Love Connecting Players To Their Football Dreams


A Keynote from Benson Chukwueke, Founder/ CEO, GreenHunters Sports International

  
 Back in the days when I was probably five years or so, I have already started to organize broom sticks to play a kind of fantasy football. I would cut papers, design them into jerseys; then color them with my crayon into team sets and get the broom sticks to put them on. I already knew about teams like Edorado, Vasco da Gama, Sao Paulo in Brazilian league and of course, Liverpool, Queens park Rangers, Aberdeen in the UK. So, I would name the teams after them. Even as a Kid, I got interested children to pay me a Penny to watch the games. It was fictional games,but I was doing transfer market operations, sponsorships, ticket sales... I realized later that these were some of the things playing like a recorded tape in my sub-conscious mind then.

In 1988, I formed an under 13 team called Royal FC, while I was still playing in the National Amateur League with NPA. I saw lot of young boys on the streets of Ajegunle displaying awesome football skills and I wanted to help them develop into better players. So, I organized them into a team. I did virtually everything for them: I was the sponsor, Coach, team manager... I bought them jerseys and balls, I washed their Jersey after each game and I registered them for competitions... That was how I got fully involved in grassroots football.


 As the boys grew up, the team became very popular in Olodi Apapa Lagos. We won YSFON cup several times and many other local competitions. Then, scouts came and took several of the boys to Malta - Victor Egere, Ejiro Omonode, Ndubusi (wowo) Ike... My younger brother, Chiedo Chukwueke and Ikpe Ekon were called up to play for the national under 16 and under 21 in 1995 and 96 respectively.

With two of my players in the national team, I had more opportunities and began to relate with big players like Nwankwo Kanu, Jay jay Okocha, Mobi Oparaku, Isaac Okoronkwo... and football managers and Agents such as Paul Okoye, Churchill Oliseh, Alex Steanovich. I was involved in the negotiation of Chiedo Chukwueke's transfer to Sheriff FC in Moldova, and Ikpe Ekon transfer to Reggiana FC in Italy.

Thirty Five years later, I am more convinced that this is my calling in Life. I have gone ahead to study sport marketing and management at post graduate level. Now, I fully appreciate the need of football professionals in West Africa to have someone to bridge the gap for them. I understand the challenges of even discovering talents that are hidden away in our shanty towns where scouts may probably not get to. I also understand the challenges most African players face while signing contracts abroad.

Today, I am better positioned to represent players and help them manage a successful football career. I already work with a network of professionals - Scouts, Agents, sport marketers and managers. And I could use the connections to better the fortune of players that join my network.. This is why I invite any player that has an effective football dreams to Sign up with our network and start enjoying tremendous football possibilities.





No comments

Theme images by rami_ba. Powered by Blogger.